Gauteng government told to velocity up housing allocations after unlawful invasions
By ANA Reporter Sep 15, 2020
Johannesburg – South Africa’s significant opposition Democratic Alliance on Tuesday told the Gauteng government to bustle housing allocations, asserting a series of done however unoccupied gadgets right during the province had been illegally invaded.
Accomplished housing gadgets in Fleurhof, south-west of Johannesburg, had been invaded and some vandalised, while 342 gadgets and 754 apartment rooms were illegally occupied on the Malibongwe Ridge mission within the city, acknowledged DA provincial legislator Mervyn Cirota, who heads the human settlements portfolio.
In Meadowlands within the sprawling Soweto township, 230 gadgets remained unoccupied after completion, as did 34 gadgets at Mzimhlophe in Orlando West.
In Clayville Extension 45, Ward 1 and Extension 71, Ward 92 in Tembisa, unlawful occupants had additionally taken over residential gadgets, amid allegations that government officials had offered the homes, Cirota acknowledged.
He told Gauteng’s Department of Human Settlements and Cooperative Governance and Passe Affairs to fetch clear that no done housing gadgets were left unoccupied and to comprise a look on the rightful beneficiaries in time in uncover to preserve faraway from delays in allocations.
“The unlawful occupants are costing the department extra money through apt charges for eviction orders, eviction processes as nicely as repairs for the damages,” acknowledged Cirota.
The DA would desk questions within the legislature to Gauteng member of the government council for housing Lebogang Maile to determine how many done and unoccupied housing gadgets the province had, and why they’d no longer been allotted, the provincial member of parliament added.
African Files Company (ANA)