Gauteng govt entreated to flee up housing allocations after illegal invasions
By ANA Reporter Sep 15, 2020
Johannesburg – South Africa’s major opposition Democratic Alliance on Tuesday entreated the Gauteng govt to urge housing allocations, asserting a assortment of done however unoccupied items across the province had been illegally invaded.
Finished housing items in Fleurhof, south-west of Johannesburg, had been invaded and a few vandalised, while 342 items and 754 apartment rooms were illegally occupied on the Malibongwe Ridge venture in the city, said DA provincial legislator Mervyn Cirota, who heads the human settlements portfolio.
In Meadowlands in the sprawling Soweto township, 230 items remained unoccupied after completion, as did 34 items at Mzimhlophe in Orlando West.
In Clayville Extension 45, Ward 1 and Extension 71, Ward 92 in Tembisa, illegal occupants had also taken over residential items, amid allegations that govt officers had sold the homes, Cirota said.
He entreated Gauteng’s Department of Human Settlements and Cooperative Governance and Used Affairs to present obvious no done housing items were left unoccupied and to substantiate the rightful beneficiaries in time in repeat to handbook clear of delays in allocations.
“The illegal occupants are costing the department extra cash through lawful costs for eviction orders, eviction processes moreover to repairs for the damages,” said Cirota.
The DA would table questions in the legislature to Gauteng member of the govtcouncil for housing Lebogang Maile to be taught what number of done and unoccupied housing items the province had, and why they’d no longer been dispensed, the provincial member of parliament added.
African News Company (ANA)