Gauteng govt urged to whisk up housing allocations after illegal invasions
Johannesburg – South Africa’s most well-known opposition Democratic Alliance on Tuesday urged the Gauteng govt to tear housing allocations, announcing a different of done nonetheless unoccupied units right through the province had been illegally invaded.
Performed housing units in Fleurhof, south-west of Johannesburg, had been invaded and some vandalised, whereas 342 units and 754 condo rooms were illegally occupied on the Malibongwe Ridge venture within the city, said DA provincial legislator Mervyn Cirota, who heads the human settlements portfolio.
In Meadowlands within the sprawling Soweto township, 230 units remained unoccupied after completion, as did 34 units at Mzimhlophe in Orlando West.
In Clayville Extension 45, Ward 1 and Extension 71, Ward 92 in Tembisa, illegal occupants had also taken over residential units, amid allegations that govt officers had equipped the homes, Cirota said.
He urged Gauteng’s Division of Human Settlements and Cooperative Governance and Feeble Affairs to be obvious that that no done housing units were left unoccupied and to check the rightful beneficiaries in time in verbalize to steer sure of delays in allocations.
“The illegal occupants are costing the division extra cash by come of upright payments for eviction orders, eviction processes besides repairs for the damages,” said Cirota.
The DA would table questions within the legislature to Gauteng member of the government council for housing Lebogang Maile to search out out what number of done and unoccupied housing units the province had, and why they had no longer been distributed, the provincial member of parliament added.
African News Company (ANA)